Monday, March 17, 2008

Foundation vs. Sharks

Up to the last weekend, I had the opportunity to go to two concerts in copenhagen area.

One of the concerts I attened, was one that I really had looked forward to, due to my rising interest in that peticular bands evolving universe of dark and cracked tales.

It was the release party of the band "Said The Shark"'s new album "Silly Kings", held at Loppen in Christiania at thursday the 13. of march.

I have already seen one other "Said The Shark" show, when my own band "Late Night Venture" had the pleasure to share stage with them at Hildesheim in germany. One really good show, that I enjoyed a lot, but due to us playing a bit later that night, didn't have the focus enough on the "Said The Shark" show.

But what they did this thursday, was a bit like what they did there in Hildesheim. They set up a mood by having a visual appearance on stage that is at one time very playful and casual, but at the same time also very aesthetic and out of this world. A bit like being invited to a party in the outer rim of a deserted forest, but with sparkles all around, a dark forest circus.

The setting was pulled off great by those visuals and contrasts in between Maya dressed up for the show, and the rest of the band supporting around her.

During the show lots of different instruments and ideas were pulled off, using the almost 30" bass drum (it was huge) parts from 1930's record players, bells, whistles, various percussion and just plain charisma.

Said The Shark delivered every song with a strong belief in the force of that very song and it was such a joy to hear the song "Took You" delivered with even more soul and loudness than on their album.

So the essence of "Said The Shark", which is kind of supernatural dark tunes, is delivered beautifully by the band when they play it live.

Take a look at this video from one of the songs from "Silly Kings", fits very well with their universe.

So after a pleasant night in company with the sharks and other nice people, time to go home.



The day after was a "Late Night Venture" rehearsal day and Peter and Jonas had been talking about going to a concert with "Blue Foundation" after our rehearsal. I've recently seen them live at "Store Vega" in copenhagen and wasn't sure whether I should go, but finally decided upon going along, since I do enjoy Blue Foundation.

The setting for Blue Foundation was a smaller, but very nice, venue just outside Copenhagen and it was obvious that there were not as many people as there usually is to their shows (When I saw them last time it was a sold out show at one of the biggest venues in copenhagen).

I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but it seemed like the band were a bit more casual than last time, and gave more in to experiments, playing songs you didn't expect.

Blue Foundation started out years ago as a more "Trip Hop"/"Electronica" act but has with their new album transformed themselves into a more "indietronica" band. Since I like that kind of music I really thought it was good for them to make such a change, but fact is that they just do the whole Trip Hop thing way better, specially live.

Where some of the more regular new "indie" songs fell a bit to the ground, they rised effectively when their "older" songs were performed. Specially the song "Ricochet" from their first album was delivered very very good..

One important force of Blue Foundation is their frontwoman: Kirstine Stubbe Teglbjerg, which is the core of the bands sound in my opinion. Not only is she one of the best singers in the world, but she's also a very good guitarist with a great "The Cure" sound, I enjoy that.

And at this show she sang as perfect as ever, it was really a dream.

Below here is the video to their old hit "End Of The Day", this song was absolutely perfect at the show.





So two nice concerts in two days, who was best ? .. It's not really a competition, the bands are very different with their own qualities, and taste is always individual, but I think for my taste, even though I really like "Blue Foundation" it's "Said The Shark" that makes my mind go on a journey and gives me the surreal moods of something undefinable.

But it's for sure, that I am going to see both bands perform live again.

No comments: